Friday 29 April 2011

The forest.

A lot of flying and dodging of patrols later, and I finally make it to the Forest of Dean. Looking down, I saw the trees stretch ahead of me, Impossibly huge, and seemingly unaffected by all the chaos around the rest of the world. I saw slight movements under the trees, and caught glimpses of animals, and even the odd human darting through the woods. A few of the figures looked up and saw me, and either looked confused or cheered. I saw a squirrel leap from a branch, and in a flash of light it became a bird, letting out a shrill cry as it circled me a few times, before diving, becoming a monkey to grab a branch and clamber down from a tree, becoming human as he landed. As I flew a little lower, I heard him say to the woman beside him: 'Does he have RCR? Looks a little young. I think it's him though.'
I flew up, and over a stretch of a lake. There was huge splash, and shiny, webbed man with fins shot up from the water.
'I knew it! I never gave up! I knew you'd be back! Everyone's waiting, they arrived a little while ago. Bear a little to the left, it's not far now!'
With that he sank back underwater.
The first half of what he said I had no idea about. The second half? I knew exactly where I was going. It was pulling me in.
FDiffy was right. I could feel the tree he wanted us to meet at. But not through plant manipulation. Sure, that was helping track it down, and told me it was a particularly large Oak tree that I was heading for, but I could feel the power of the tree itself with every fibre of my being.
It became clear to me, looking down, that the forest was some sort of safehaven for equinoxes. The sheer sense of power, and safety, and comfort coming from that tree, and gathered them, gradually, steadily, with people not knowing where they were going at first and then feeling the tree calling to them, until the whole forest was alive with power. I could feel that, without a power, it would be really hard to find this place now, and that any attempt to attack or trespass inside would be fought of by the forest itself.
I could see the tree now, on top of a tall hill. I have vague memories of visiting the area before, and loving the view from that hill, but it all seems so long ago now.
I looked around again as I closed in, and saw figures everywhere, some glowing, some floating, others helping injured, or powerless people they had brought to the forest. I swear I saw a unicorn galloping towards the hill, but it vanished behind a tree, and was replaced by an aged figure with long white hair. Everyone, be they powered, injured, old, young, powerless, or in one guys case, dead, was heading for the hill, and the huge shining tree at it's top.
Just paused to concentrate on this, but I need to do some catching up with the others. More soon. Or not, it depends how the connection holds out.

No comments:

Post a Comment